Monday, August 13, 2018

SONG: WITHOUT APPETITE
a four-part poem on Anorexia

1.
Prelude: St. Margaret of Hungary

Hundreds of years ago
waiting in the kitchen
in torchlight the daughter
of the house
of the king himself.

But now she has made herself
the servant, the nourishing,
always bringing the meal always
ready to be waiting. Her father
arranging the wedding.

Each step on the stair
could be someone coming closer.
She always making herself
as narrow as hope and as beautiful
as the urge to art and has whittled
herself to only a famished heart.

Each point of bone
protruding through the skin
is a syllable in his holy name.
Her father there waiting for the rescuer
to come, unless she has first
been abducted into holiness

So all through history
young girls have lost
their appetite,
swallowed mystery,
and vanished into night.


2.
her last words

I will call you one day
And when you pick up the phone
I will only say:
I have become an idea
finally! And click.

And you will come to my door
And open it up and look inside
And say: It is true!
She has become finally
blue!

3.
 A letter to her Brother.

I saw her
standing
like an unfinished house.

There was a bird loose
in her ribs.
The wood was still green.

Along a street
An unexpected parade
Full of children

Who exploded their voices
through brass
and called it music.

I am sorry to have to be
the one to tell you this,
but some of that music

went through her frame.
It shook the wooden beams
and startled the bird.

4.
Dialogue

When will the sleeping margarets wake
and walk among us once again?

                  When we have made a gentle place
                  where women walk with loving men.

But the world I see is green with joy
and if you try, you can be free.

                  I know there are no margarets there
                  I cannot see what you can see.

But this is the garden my father grew
I’ve done my best to make it flower.

If no margaret lives beyond an hour,
                  then I guess this place will not do.

Well, what can we do to make it new
to make the sleeping margarets wake?

We’ll have to tear it up again
for every single margaret’s sake.

 AFTERWORD
A while ago I was teaching at UCSC and a student came late to the class. It was a required class. She must have this class in her first year. Her name was Sonya. She came with her parents and her brother. It was unusual to see such a crowd. They met with me after class. Sonya was almost two weeks behind. She needed my permission to start the class so late.
            Sonya’s parents and brother were very earnest—almost desperate. I told the parents I would listen to their story, but I would not discuss their daughter’s work or her decisions with them. They said she had been in the hospital and just got out. It was at Stanford. It was special program addressing anorexia.
It was the late 1980’s. Eating disorders were getting attention. This disease seemed especially complex and political.  It should be noted that at the time I lost 60lbs because of physical problem. At the time did not know why. I could not swallow and was stuck. For years eating in public became anathema for me. When I ate I vomited. So I felt some oblique connection with this catastrophe. My family intervened much later and I got surgery at UCSF. But I felt what it was like to starve for about 12 years. 
Sonya at this time was just out of what they thought was successful treatment in a new therapeutic environment. A few weeks later I saw her running and saw her losing weight. Her face was drawn. She left school before the quarter ended. Her parents called me with the sad news that she died suddenly not long after. I wrote these poems in one sitting in a forest near by.


No comments: