Saturday, August 18, 2018

4 TANGOES



1.    Tango Orgel

You can be young enough
to be missed.
You can walk upon the steps of diapason.
You can be only caparison.
You can be young enough to be missed.

As normally as the sun
entering a room
through the venetian blind,
you can be sliced.
You can be young enough
to be missed.

The sound she made was the sound she made.
It is never enough.
I am starved for air.
This suffocation. This home
wraps my love. The sound she made
was the sound she made.

When a lover is eavesdropping,
He may be a thief.
Each casual look may sponge
the residue of radiance.
This can be a token
stolen when you are not watching.
You can be
young enough to be missed.

She whispered:
Who touched my cloak?

2.    Tango a Carlos Gardel

My love twisted tighter than your pigtails
splits your head
like a pomegranate
and its red pellets fall
into your hand.
Eat them.
They’re sweet
and bitter at the same time.

We could call them the children of
of our childless marriage.
They will have arms
softer than your leg
and cheeks round as your knees.

You can talk to the moon.
It visits every night,
with occasional dark holidays.
Then you can sleep
as if the world had stopped
all of its clocks and rivers.

When I am in love, I am in love
With you,
no matter who you are,
no matter what you are turning into. No matter
how long you pretend
to be living.
It is the moon.

3.    Tango/Brecht: Keep your eyes

Keep your eyes. I can’t use them
anymore. Everything in this world
is finally visible to me. No secrets.
No drums at a distance.
No having seen.

mein got ich liebe dich zo

Her ring and some lips.
The nesting of oranges in morning sunlight:
So are they strangers, strange
as frozen pebbles of rain.
They hit my window.
They hope to become invisible
in the warm room. Her lips
and eyes and some rings.

mein got ich liebe dich zo

You are the always other one oif my dreams,
the woman who walks past me on the street.
A pickpocket and a perfect explainer.
I am sick of your explanations and smirkings.
I want you
to not be walking past me when I am walking.

mein got ich liebe dich zo

Have you seen the streets flooded
with mystics, with exaltation, with grief?
They are holding hands with so many
dead. They take air like a narcotic.
They are waiting to see if the experiment failed
Or whether—
I am squawking about it because it is your problem!

mein got ich liebe dich zo


4.    Tango: “Volver”

The echo is not the music.
The star remembers the star.
Scent creases the air
in the shape of your body.
            What room is ever empty?

Edges of the shell
delicate violence of voices
the integration of diatesseron
widenings ooze: diapedesis.
            What life ever ends?

The interval and the leaping through.
Mediacy seems to plunge
but it accompanies. When
will you flow through me tonight?
Nothing is simply over?


This set of poems, written in the early nineties, reflects the course of the romantic imagination from the child hiding and listening to the organ playing Bach thrillingly, to Gardel's tango Volver, which I always played when I recited this poem in public and I danced to it,  to the Brechtian love and cruelty of Surabaya Johnny, and to the finale which is completely lost touch with the physical and the loss, a song of despair as Neruda might have it.  Once when I danced this for a group of people, the Volver, a friend who was from Argentina came to me immediately afterward and told me I had no idea what Tango was. I accept that criticism. I am not sure dancing lessons would help at all. But I know what it felt like to me when I listened to Volver, at least a thousand times and danced in my living room. . 

No comments: