Saturday, August 18, 2018

LIFT these three

Until a Creche

My body has grown expensive with light.
Some feelers are searching the garden.
This Japanese lantern.

I have become a Japanese lantern,
that soft light
on the cold, empty patio.
I could cry. Why could I cry?

A glowing at the place where the dark begins.
The rain extinguishes the light. Or could.
My body has grown expensive with light.

When light tumbles out and walks
in the garden, in the cool of the evening.
It is too easy to be intellectual
about a thing like this.

Bang Shut

When I hear the screen door,
So comes the emptying of the house.
My house is empty. Banging shut,
an inadvertence. But perhaps,
I was so young, so young.
I thought no door could bang shut
and not be a name.
The name of emptiness, of emptying.
My house is empty.

Now I will spend the afternoon alone.
There’s not a person in the world
who would believe me. Believe me.
The wire is woven and pushed out
in the corners. That sound of wings.
So angels sing behind the glass,
caught between the screen and the glass
Now I will listen to the angels singing.
There’s not a person in the world
who would believe me. Believe me.

That is what I have to thank the afternoon for:
The banging shut. The angels beating
her terrific wings. This is the thanks
they get. I was so young, so young.
And can I have the heart to leave him
singing for twenty years, for thirty years
in that empty house? This is the thanks
I get.

Wrung Dry My

So when the daily vision of even the ones I love
cuts me like knives.
It cuts me like knives. I am not ordinary.
Today, this week. I am not ordinary.
But that must be a normal feeling.

It makes everything I have done
regrettable. I cannot list them all.
Perhaps I can say
whatever is not here. I am sorry for it.
Whatever is not standing on my tongue.

I have injured everything I have touched,
and many or all of everything else.
When I walked through your tide pool of a heart
and bent over a carefully lifted the things
that looked like life, I was careful,

and I was careful about where I put my feet.
But some things were evidently killed,
some life. No matter how invisible.
I still can’t count them.
Nothing is less alive for being small.

I am wrung.

They don’t mean it. They step carefully.
They lift me with their thumb
and forefinger, like so. The sound of ocean.
It seems to be always bringing something.
But that must be a normal feeling.



 It is time to address where these poems come from. They are an expression of victimization when I was young. Written in a single afternoon reaching back to childhood recalling sounds and the way we pay no attention to the fullness of being that belongs to children. I figured out, thirty years afterward, that I had been set upon by a trusted person and used for their gratification. A common crime. Is it wrong to add this kind of explanation. I could be wrong about this; maybe the poems came from somewhere else. The poem "transitive" is the fourth poem in this series. It is a poem of depression and revenge.

No comments: