Friday, August 17, 2018

On the death of Cesar Chavez 4/23/1993

Today is Cesar Chavez’s birthday. I met Cesar a couple of times as a teenager. I celebrate his influence on me as a person. I wrote this poem about Cesar four days after he died. The original is shaped like the UFW eagle. But it is too hard to do that layout here.

On the death of Cesar Chavez 4/23/1993

so how does this mean that
there is an end or that
anything is different?

We still have a promise to keep.
We still have work to do.

Our father who art finally
away from disaster, out of
the grip of that hand
that wants to shape
everything, to twist
everything, that hand that
crushes the flowers into
a lingering fragrance, and
that thinks to make men
into mud again.

I would like to tell you
that the children will be
happy and in love with life
again and in love with
themselves.
It is the last promise
I will make.
They will live.
On my blood.

And no hand will
cover their mouths
again, and the air
will be clean, and
their eyes will be open.
And their mouths
will be unstuck,
and the ears
unstopped.
I think I can make this
promise. What life would be
worth living unless
we can make this promise?

You can sleep now.
You can dream now.
But dreaming, you still
have work to do:
Will you dream us?

And we will leave the door open
on those hot evenings in the Valley,
and while we sleep, you can always
walk in again.

No comments: