Saturday, August 18, 2018

POODLE ILLUSTRATES GODHEAD

When

When god is a shoe, you shuffle.
When god is a horse, you ride.
When god is silence, sleep.
When god is violence, hide.

When god is sound, you listen.
When god is light, you look.
When god is music, dance.
When god is darkness, look.

When god is hunger, you starve.
When god is a joke, you laugh.
When god is water, you drink.
When god is valleys, you walk.

Nothing but nothing waits.
Nothing but nothing abides.
When god is oceans or misery,
You can only hope for tides.

When god is sober you sing.
When god is drunk you cry.
When god leaves quietly by the door,

You may as well give up and die.



My poodle poems require explanation. I will not do that at length. I have many poodle poems. Poodle is an alter ego and often reprehensible. I started writing them in 1970 when my son was born. I was reading Goethe's Faust to him. That poem has a black poodle in it. 

No comments: