Sunday, September 2, 2018

REST

A Service for the Dead in 15 parts
Tim Fitzmaurice February 1993


ANTIPHON

Recall
without number
without name
the endlessness
the forgiveness
            forgiveness most of all.

When I entered that
narrow door.

So ship misery,
I am happiest.

The weight of years
settle like the fingers
of moths,
like the dust
which is the color
of their eyes.

Recall me.

It is the only much of above.


CREDIS HOC

The world is ending today
for me.

But not so suddenly
as it seems to be ending.

Hold your hand this way
over your mouth.

Close your eyes like so
in the near occasion of death.

The thing that flies up
is the thing
that flies up.

The thing
that remains
remains.

EPISTLE

I have this moment     an immense calm
            I am holding
my breath
while some horse is trotting by.
            I can hear
the sharp clack
of his iron shoes, but I am not afraid.
            I am only waiting
for the sound to dopple away.

I am a sleepwalker for this hour,
waiting to be rudely awakened.
It’s a tightrope.  A test;
Can I love the world
as much as my soul expects?

EARTH’S CHILDREN

We have been hiding over here,
sneaking out of our rooms at night,
fucking like rabbits,
until we have filled
all of it up completely.

While we were hiding over here,
the lights have grown old
and tremble slightly
before going out. We thought
we were a shout in a storm.

Since we were hiding over here,
we couldn’t see
the last minute packing,
the hurried goodbyes,
the witnesses smiling and weeping.

Among our hiding over here,
we were sleeping
when we should have
overheard
the very last word.

Although we were hiding over there,
we made a language of secret coughs
and made up games among ourselves
and hurt each other   Perhaps
we are up to no good.


THE WOMAN WHO WALKS, or NO VALISES

I’m sorry but I’m happy
that when I will go there
I can leave all of the valises behind.

I can’t imagine dragging
even my littlest toe
which I love
but which must stay.

I wouldn’t have it any other way.

Even though I know
that I will look silly
wearing all my clothes,

everything I own
on my back,
the woman who walks,
who walks, who walks
all day,

I wouldn’t have it any other way.

And when I walk
up to my old house
and it smiles
in that way
and forgets my name …

I wouldn’t have it any other way.

A PORTA INFERI

I have corridors
where no one goes
and corridors
that no one knows
and corridors
that lead nowhere.

I have rooms
where no one sleeps
and rooms where
someone never weeps
and rooms without air.

and I have balconies
where eyes see me
and balconies
where I see sky
and balconies where I can stare.

I do have doors
upon the various sides
and doors
where something awful hides
and doors not there

AT THE GRAVESIDE

When the rains wash our footsteps away,
others will come to the very same place
and say,
We are here for the first time again
and they will stay
for a brief rest and
when the rains wash their footsteps
away
the world will be new again.
and then …

HYMN: REST

In music, the test between notes
provides the edges, the cliffs
that make mountains climb.

In mountains, the slopes
where rivers fall,
stream music.

IN THE FIELD OF DEATH

An orchard
and assembly of dates
this space occupies
a dozen or six dozen years
or one hundred and sixty-six dozen.

Years since Christ wept
and since Christ walked walked
in the orchard of olive trees.

Press these olives
and even their hearts,
their dry heart stones
will give up a soft oil.

These same trees
that birds stand on,
 my lovely ornaments,

anoint me!

GRADUAL

From here the road seems to lead
with circlings
directly to the sea
across a green pasture.

It must be a dream,
 a trick of heaven.

Cities and robbers line that road.
I know it. I’ve seen them.
And I know it.

But the road from here seems
to lead with circlings
directly to the sea.

OSSA HUMILIATA

Whatever I am given
will be enough.
It will be seed
for forests, for gardens.
It will be stone
for bridges, for buildings.
Whatever I am given will be enough.

If it is sharp,
            I will carve.
If it is dull,
            I will grind.
If it is heavy,
            I drop it.
If it flat,
            dance.

EPISTLE

I have this feeling of sitting
near death. And we are familiar.
We don’t exchange words or looks.
Each of us is distracted by the same cloud,
the same birds.

We both hear
the wet redwood trees
creak and squeal
in the wind

We both see
the steam rising
in the winter sun
from their red skin.



GAUDIAM et LAETITIAM

When I hear the songs of frogs,
when I hear them say my name
and see the moths blink
on the fallen logs
or catch whispers
of the few coyotes,
the cold stare of raccoons,
when I hear the songs of frogs,

I never answer.

When I smell the desertion of birds,
who leave the trees
quiet …


LIGHT BREAKS

Each single night
I reassemble us.
Each single morning
we divide.

We’re lucky to have
each other.
We never know
how lucky we are,
until it‘s dark,
dark.

Each single night
I reassemble us,
each single heart,
each single night.

FINAL ANTIPHON

Recall
without number without name
the endlessness and forgiveness,
forgiveness most of all.

When I entered
that narrow door.

So ship misery,
I am happiest.

The weight of years settles
like the fingers of moths
like the dust which is the color
of their eyes.

Recall me.

It is the only much of above.




I wrote this series of poems in one day which is not to say that this makes them good only that it is something that came to be in a special way while I went walking in the redwoods in Santa Cruz for hours and hours in the wintertime. They are only slightly revised. The experience seemed to be a premonition of the sudden death of a family member that same month. I was not under the influence of anything by the way. Whatever their value, I love them; they bring me back vividly to that day and that place.


No comments: