Saturday, September 8, 2018

A CONVERSATION WITH POODLE


I am not a dog at all.
But I am exactly
what you have made me
and what you continue
to make of me.

I am whatever 5,000 years
of life-building has done.

So ask:
            How long does it take
to get your hair just so?

How long does it take
to hold your head like that?

And I would say:
Before genetic engineering was,
I am.

But you might ask:
            Weren’t you in fact
a rather recent french trick?

and I would say:
            Nothing comes from nothing
and I believe it was german.



A poodle is not
an act of god.
A poodle is a symptom
of advanced education,
a highly developed
artistic temperament,
an unusual interest
in the accidents of breeding,
and too much time on your hands.



            Tim Fitzmaurice

No comments: